Jaffe slams Fischer over Wii storage comments

Friday, 13th June 2008 09:36 GMT By Patrick Garratt

David Jaffe loves Nintendo. But he doesn’t love Laurent Fischer, especially after the Nintendo marketeer claimed the only people that cared about Wii storage were “geeks and otaku”. The God of War creator tells us so on his blog.

“This statement, especially coming from a marketing person, reeks of one of two things:

“A – Arrogance at a level that should make Nintendo – if this statement reflects the core of the company – very ashamed.

“B – A marketing person who has no real clue about games and thinks she’s being cute and coy by dissing the ‘geeks’ cause she thinks the mainstream loves them now. If this is the case, she really needs someone to sit her down and explain to her which side her fucking toast has been buttered on for years and will eventually get back to being buttered on.”

Laurent’s a man, David, but we get the sentiment.

Thanks, GoNintendo.

1. Killerbee

Go Jaffe!

The “geeks” comment was a bit misguided, but I do sort of agree – there really isn’t much of a need for a Wii hard drive. All they need to do is sort out the problem of not being able to play Virtual Console and WiiWare games direct from an SD card and then you’ve got your storage problems all sorted.

Anyone who needs more than 2.5GB of storage on their Wii (2GB SD card + 512MB internal) will be very much in the minority and really, swapping to another 2GB SD card isn’t a hassle.

I just don’t think making a HDD for the Wii would be profitable for Nintendo, so I don’t blame them for not doing it.

2. patlike

Just asked Nintendo for an official comment. I thought it was a flash in the pan, but it really isn’t going away. The story broke on Sunday, I think.

3. Blerk

It shouldn’t go away. It was an idiotic thing to say and the latest in a reasonably long line of “fuck you gamers, we don’t need you any more” sneers from a Nintendo that’s getting too big for its boots.

4. patlike

Yeah, it wasn’t the cleverest thing in the world. I just hope he wasn’t misquoted, etc.

5. Tonka

I took it as a compliment. I guess it helps that I’m not an anglophone. I like it when people call me a geek.

Any way. I love Jaffe. That video when he’s drunk at the mansion giving a Sony PR person an earful is comedy GLOD

6. patlike

Ja. I’m not sure I’d like to interview him, to be honest. He’s a bit “unpredictable” from the look of it.

7. Psychotext

Jaffe’s basically barking mad. =)

8. Spiral

You could have fun with it Pat. Get completely bladdered yourself and see who can piss off the most fanboys before falling off their chair.

9. patlike

Heh. I’m not sure he’s ever going to be doing interviews again, tbh. He’s stayed away for a long time now.

10. wz

I still think this is just rambling and the HDD will be there for christmas or even earlier.

Wasn’t there some rumour Nintendo is hiring USB hardware people lately?

11. Robo_1