THQ Gamer’s Day 08: Volition – “GTA and Saints Row 2 and then everybody else”

Monday, 9th June 2008 13:59 GMT By Mike

Talking with EGTV’s Johnny Minkley at the THQ Gamer’s Day 08 in San Francisco, Volition’s Scott Philips said that GTA and Saints Row 2 will be ahead of the pack by the end of the year.

“We think there is going to be two dogs at the end of this,” he said. “You’re going to have GTA and Saints Row 2 and then everybody else.”

Philips added: “You have a GTA vs Saints Row 2 type thing going on. We’re going one way, GTA’s going the other way and the greatest thing about this year for open-world fans is that you’re going to have both.”

“[Rockstar's] going with the realistic, we’re going for the hyper-realistic.”

Watch the full thing through the link.

By Mike Bowden

1. Blerk

Heh heh. He said that like he actually believed it, too!

2. pjmaybe

Bless ‘im.

Thing is, and this is one of those niggling “gamer” feelings that creeps up on you and hits you on the back of the head with a loud clangy frying pan of surprise, I think he might actually be right. Specially after that last trailer that aired.

People actually will buy Saints Row 2 in their droves. Like sheep. Just you watch.

3. patlike

In October? Without wishing to be a harbinger of doom, I think the vast majority of people will be far too concerned with the likes of Gears 2, Resistance 2, etc, to be bothered about the like of SR2. Shame, though, because I reckon it looks really good.

4. pjmaybe

I’d agree in principal if it wasn’t for the fact that Saints Row 2 is exactly the sort of game that the great uninformed unwashed game-buying public purchase in their droves, probably from Blockies on the way home from a night of badger baiting.

Top 3 in that week’s sales charts or I’ll eat my liquorice hat.

5. Newbie101

I don’t get people.

They hate Saints Row because its ‘too much like GTA’ or ‘trying to be GTA’ yet how many FPS’s are there at the moment?

Do people hate them cos they are ‘too much like’ Wolfenstein 3D?

Geez.

6. Blerk

I don’t think people ‘hate’ it. It’s just very easy to be cynical about a title which is so blatantly a rip-off of another.

I think it’ll sell pretty well, tbh. But the biggest selling GTA-a-like this Christmas will be GTAIV. Plenty of scope for further sales as Chrimbo approaches and new kids get new consoles.

7. morriss

Yeah, and if MS do get to launch the DLC in November, then there’s plenty of reason for people who have already traded it in, to rebuy it cheap and get it.

(like me :))

8. Whizzo

I’d rather buy Saints Row 2 over Gears 2 any time of the year.

9. Blerk

I’d agree with you but I’ve still not forgiven you for being mean to Lego Indy. :-D

10. morriss

That was funny. I lol’ed. :)