Sega Rally ran into “brick wall” of Halo 3 and FIFA

Thursday, 5th June 2008 15:26 GMT By Patrick Garratt

segarally3.jpg

Speaking to MCV, Sega UK managing director Alan Pritchard that Sega Rally performed badly at retail because releasing it in October last year meant it ran “into a brick wall at retail that was FIFA and Halo 3”.

He added: “Sega Rally reviewed well and won a BAFTA but didn’t resonate with customers.

“But now we’re really starting to get going on 360 and PS3. Vikings and Condemned 2 have done well, Iron Man is performing in line with expectations.

“There is much more to come on those formats, when arguably we had under-performed a little as a next-gen publisher until now.”

More through the link.

1. AMG

Yeah, who’d have seen FIFA and Halo 3 coming, eh?

2. patlike

:P

3. pjmaybe

No it wasn’t really that. It was that it was actually shit.

And had tearing.

4. Blerk

I played it a few times and thought it was all right, for a driving game! I certainly had much more fun with it than I had with Forza 2 or DIRT or PGR3. Mainly because I could play this one without crashing into walls every four seconds.

5. patlike

“Shit”? Really?

6. AMG

If you’re going to come with a new driving franchise, you’ve got to put mega cash behind it and do something a little bit different. You can’t rely on memories of the Saturn and Arcade series to sell it. That outRun remake by Sumo was dope but it can’t have been so lucrative that it warranted a sequel.

7. pjmaybe

Yup shit, and pretty much for the exact reasons AMG just quoted.

If you’re going to revive an old arcade classic on this-gen consoles, you need to put an absolute CREAMLOAD of extra content in there to make the game worth bothering with. Certainly for a “sit down in front of the telly” console at least.

Oddly though, the PSP version was ace. And didn’t tear.

That was probably because Bugbear had a hand in it though.

8. patlike

Fair enough. I hate racing games, so I never played it, obviously, but it scored really well so I kind of assumed it was, like, good.

9. pjmaybe

I never understood why it did score that well.

Then again if I had to name a game that WOULD qualify as a brick wall that SR ran headfirst into last year, it’d be Flatout Ultimate Carnage – which was a hell of a lot more fun, had a nicer engine, threw particles and environmental objects around like the clappers, with no tearing, and at a solid framerate in both single and multiplayer AND bunged a whole load of funny minigames and MP content in there, and scored pretty MEH-ly everywhere.

10. TheDifficult3rdAlbum

“it scored really well”

…with Eurogamer only :-P

11. patlike

It did OK, according to Metacritic. EG’s score’s right up the top there :)

I’ve always liked Flatout. I reviewed the first one they did for a mag I was working on at the time and I gave it a 9, I think. There really wasn’t much wrong with it at all.

12. Axle

Flatout 2 is superb. The adulation that Burnout gets should be placed on Flatout, as I personally think that Burnout paradise was a sterile, souless experience that was massively over-rated.

Incidentially, I bought Sega Rally at the same time as Paradise and thought that it was much more ‘fun’ which, after all is what games should be, so I just can’t agree that Sega Rally was “shit”. Dead Rising had horrific tearing, and that was running a lot slower than Sega Rally.

13. mart

“I personally think that Burnout paradise was a sterile, souless experience that was massively over-rated.”

That’s strange, I felt exactly that about Flatout.

I also really liked Sega Rally.