Confirmed: EA puts Red Alert 3 PS3 on hold

Thursday, 5th June 2008 12:53 GMT By Patrick Garratt

redalert36.jpg

EA’s just confirmed to videogaming247 that Red Alert PS3 has definitely been put on hold. A PR rep issued the following statement:

“We can confirm that the development of Red Alert 3 for PS3 has been put on hold. EA LA is focusing resources on development for PC and Xbox 360 which will ship simultaneously this autumn.”

And that’s that. No one seems to know quite why the PS3 version’s been pushed back and it doesn’t sound like there’s going to be any comment on this other than the above right now.

The news solidified properly last night when GameStop was rumoured to have pulled the SKU.

1. Blerk

Porting PC games to PS3 obviously isn’t as straight-forward as they imagined. And then there’s the multiplayer to contend with too.

Shame really, ‘cos the PS3 version could’ve actually used a mouse and keyboard. :-)

2. pjmaybe

PS3mote compatibility to be included – CONFIRMED.

3. Blerk

Not to worry, anyway – it’s only a boring old PC game.

/looks over shoulder

4. morriss

“Porting PC games to PS3 obviously isn’t as straight-forward as they imagined.”

I think you can replace the first few words of that sentence with “Making games for the PS3…”

5. patlike

Maybe they saw StarCraft II and decided they’d better stop fannying about with PS3.

6. Killerbee

This sort of game is really meant for the PC, so I can’t see that the loss of a PS3 version is a great worry.

I loved Red Alert back in the day (mid 90s was it? Gosh…) but I have to say I’m much more looking forward to Starcraft II and/or Dawn of War II for my next RTS fix, so I’ll probably give this a miss.

7. Whizzo

I thought C&C3 was pretty shite on the PC so this is probably a lucky escape for PS3 owners. RTS games have moved on since the nineties, unfortunately EA’s haven’t.

8. patlike

You should have a look at that Supreme Commander 360 movie I posted earlier. Honestly, it looks very cool.

9. Tiger Walts

The spirit of Dreamcast has a new home.

10. Axle

This is another reason to buy PS3 – at least they don’t ahve to be subject to another lazy port of a questionable RTS franchise.

11. Blerk

Come on now, we can’t possibly spin a game cancellation as a *good* thing! :-D

12. Axle

Perhaps not, but I have a personal dislike of C&C. My dad has been playing Generals: Zero Hour (or is it the other way around) for the past eight years and he NEVER plays anyhting else. EVERY TIME I visit my parents he’s playing that game, so much so that even my mum knows the ‘yes massa’ and ‘I’m hungry’ syntagms.

I even bought him Company of Heroes one Christmas so as to introduce him to a more refined RTS, then next time I go there, he’s given it to my brother – FOR HIS BIRTHDAY!!!

Anyone who isn’t subjected to this series is, in my opinon, seriously lucky.

13. Psychotext

I really liked what I saw of this in the recent 15min demo. Looking forward to it.

14. G1GAHURTZ

Oh well… bad news for the PS3, since this is exactly the kind of game that it could use to really show off the fact that you can use a mouse/keyboard with it.

Playing RTS games with a joypad pretty muched ‘advanced players only’ territory.

15. kasai

Mouse and keyboard should stay away from consoles :P

It doesn’t directly show how hard it is to develop for the ps3 but time is money and I guess EA took the right decision to stop development on it.

16. Blerk

How well did the last C&C on 360 do?

17. patlike

18. Blerk

Suddenly it’s all starting to make a bit more sense.

19. Whizzo

I think C&C3 had about 1.5M sales, most of them PC.

20. G1GAHURTZ

“How well did the last C&C on 360 do?”

in terms of what?

Reviews or sales?

I got it when it came out and played it for a good while.

iirc it got mid 80 reviews, which is about right if you ask me.

I’ll probably pick it up again some time between now and November (Gears 2), which means that I want to go back to it after not having played it for ages, which is a good sign for a game.

21. Blerk

I was talking specifically about sales. If it pretty much tanked on the 360 and the PS3 conversion was giving them grief then there’s little wonder they cut their losses.

22. goon

It will get destroyed by Starcraft 2 regardless.

RTS on consoles? Doesn’t work.