Carmack confesses favourite id game, slams modern design

Wednesday, 4th June 2008 07:34 GMT By Patrick Garratt

John Carmack’s admitted that his favourite id Software game is Quake III Arena. You know what, John? Same with us.

The code legend gave up his personal shooter preference in a PCGamer interview about the upcoming free-to-play Quake Live, and also took the opportunity to stick a knife into completist “movie” gaming.

“Quake III Arena was always my personal favorite id Software game,” he said. “It’s such a pure activity kind of game – more of a sport than a movie. And I’m excited to have this opportunity to bring back the pure type of gaming as opposed to the ‘everything and the kitchen sink’ modern design. We have no pretensions about it being the best multiplayer game in all types of things, but for any player looking to test their [deathmatch] skill, I think Quake III Arena is the best there ever was.”

Rare interview, that, so be sure to read it.

1. pjmaybe

Oh the irony! I hated Quake III Arena with a passion, worst of the Quakes by a long country mile and I’ve played Quake IV!

2. patlike

Quake III was best. I loved Quake II, but I’ve gone back to Q3A so many times. It really is timeless. He’s right: there’s no bullshit in it at all. You just shoot stuff.

3. kasai

I couldn’t agree more with John on this. I played this game online for close to 4 years. This game to me was perfectly balanced no one had special ability you were all the same all the weapons were all the same. What made you good was your own skill, knowing the maps, being able to read the movements of other players and your reaction time. This game is a sport but its also fun you don’t need to be a pro to enjoy it. In essence this game is easy to pick up but hard to truly master.

4. Blerk

Doom 2, John. You numpty. Quake was/is/will always be rubbish.

5. patlike

6. patlike

The only Doom I ever finished was the N64 version, oddly. Loved that, though.

7. kasai

“Doom 2, John. You numpty. Quake was/is/will always be rubbish.”

I’ll railgun you for that comment :P

“kasai: Correct. “Luck” in Q3 is rare, and therefore awesome when it happens. I really love it.”

Yeah I remember I rocket jumped into the air flew half way across the map and just before I landed took out 2 players made me smile all night after I did that.

8. kasai

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/20624.html example of tricking one of the most fun parts of Q3A.

9. Tiger Walts