CAPTIVATE08: Everything in one place

Tuesday, 3rd June 2008 13:34 GMT By Patrick Garratt

residentevil513.jpg

The embargo’s up on content from Capcom’s CAPTIVATE08 event, and Eurogamer’s done some work for once. We’ll just link to Tom’s stuff, as everyone else appears to be asleep.

Update: Some alarm clocks have gone off now. Links added.

1. Blerk

Resi 5 sounds… like Resi 4. Only bigger and better. Which is no bad thing, really. :-D

I’m not convinced by any of the other stuff though. And I’m not surprised the Wii fanboys are wailing and gnashing their teeth.

2. patlike

Is it more badass, though?

I missed RE4, so I’m really looking forward to RE5. It really does look exciting, so I hope there’s no let-down.

3. absolutezero

As long as RE5 has some of those moments from 4 which made your jaw drop it’ll be fantastic.

RE4 was a conveyor belt of awesome that never stopped all the way to the end.

I really like the look of some of the other stuff aswell.

4. Blerk

Wait… you did what? Play it now! It’s better than at least half the stuff that’s come out in the last three years!

5. patlike

I keep meaning to play it and never do. I could get it for Wii. Should do, you’re right.

6. morriss

I bought it for the Wii yesterday as it happens.

7. Blerk

If you already have a Wii then you have no excuse whatsoever. Go and buy it right now.

8. morriss

I did. Yesterday. ;)

9. patlike

Wii or PS2? It’s only a tenner on PS2.

10. Blerk

They’re functionally identical, but the Wii version is graphically a bit nicerer and uses the wobbly wand rather than the normal pad. I guess it depends on whether you’re a wagglephobe or not.

Edit: Oh yeah – the Wii version supports progressive scan too, which might be more important if you’re on a hi-def telly.

11. patlike

OK. I’ll get it on Wii.

12. Blerk

Good man. :-)

Gamersyde, Kotaku, 1Up and Joystiq have a bundle of stuff up now too, by the way. Three more Resi 5 previews to get through and a load of media. It’s going to be a tough afternoon. :-D

13. patlike

I’ll put some more links up.

14. Blerk

Bionic Commando and Dark Void look pretty similar to me. Fast-paced third-person shooters with little to set them apart from the crowd. Some of BC’s screenies look very nice, but the new trailer is super-meh. I was kind of hoping they might be a bit more “explorey/adventurey” but apparently not.

Street Fighter IV is Street Fighter 2 again. I’m sure everyone will love it, but I won’t.

Spyborgs is… er.. yes, let’s just leave it at that, shall we?

15. patlike

I’m excited about SFIV. That’s a guaranteed buy for me, especially with online play. That and RE5 are definites. But yeah, a little unsure of the rest.

16. Blerk

The Dark Void trailer looks awful. :-(

17. patlike

Questionables aside, RE5 drop-in co-op keeps me awake at night.

18. Blerk

I wouldn’t have anyone to play with.

I MEAN THE GAME!

19. patlike

The only person I play online with is morriss. And we’ve only done that once.

20. Blerk

Co-op’s no fun unless you’re in the same room. You can’t shout at each other properly over microphones, and you always have to get your own drink.

21. morriss

Drop-in, drop-out co-op wins every time for me.

22. morriss

For someone like me though, Blerk, who lives in a different country to all his friends, online co-op is absolutely perfect.

23. Blerk

What about people like me who don’t have any friends? :-D

I had to breed some clones in order to get someone to play with. And they’re not old enough for Resi yet.

24. morriss

Oh don’t get me wrong, Pat’s the only friend I’ve got and we’ve only played once together. But still, having the option is nice. :)

25. patlike

You can shout at each other, definitely. And the sound’s all crunchy and shit, so it makes you feel like you’re in Aliens, or something. Then you notice your wife shaking her head sadly in the corner as you scream “GET DOWN!” at a cartoon man on your television. And that pretty much sums up the entire online co-op experience.

26. Blerk

Actually you’re sort of selling it to me now. I haven’t had one of those looks in a while. I think the last one was when she discovered one of my characters in Digital Devil Saga had tits with teeth.

27. morriss

My wife just mimics my mouth movements as I’m trying to concentrate – laughing at me.

28. patlike

My wife gives me “that look” all the time. I’m clearly doing something right.

29. mart

RE4 Wii is one of the most proper uses of the Wii control system yet. Along with Boom Blox, I think. And Ghost Squad / House of the Dead.