Rumour: Shenmue III for E3 (omglolwtf)

Friday, 30th May 2008 11:35 GMT By Patrick Garratt

shenmue.jpg

Jesus. There’s no need for this. Spanish site Meristation’s rumouring that the game Sega recently signed an Unreal Engine license extension for is Shenmue III, and that the game will be on show in some form at E3.

We’ve left Sega a voicemail. We expect to get laughed at later on today.

Thanks, Manuel!

1. mart

No need for what?

2. Blerk

No need for Shenmue 3.

3. mart

Kill yourself.

Edit: Sorry, that was harsh. :)

4. pleasant_cabbage

/hears the faint hiss of a 1000 fanboys weeing themselves in anticipation

5. patlike

No need for a rumour that’s about as true as something that’s so not true it’s untrue.

6. mart

Phew Pat. Thought you were saying something terrible there. There’s always time for Shenmue.

7. patlike

Shenmue, mart, was *fucking* shit. The most ridiculous experiment in games.

8. mart

LOL

I love it.

I don’t think you and I are ever going to be able to align on taste are we?

9. Whizzo

Shenmue was great, chances of this happening are zero though and using UE for it seems even more unlikely.

10. patlike

mart: I’m sure there are some things we both like. We just haven’t found them yet :)

Shenmue was amazing but so incredibly dull. I remember waiting for a bus, and Paul Davies telling me about the forklift truck race thing. So boring.

11. Psychotext

I’m in the “Shenmue was shit” camp… but I’m not against the fans getting another game. =)

12. Blerk

I’ve never played Shenmue, but its fanboys never fail to be entertaining. :-D

13. mart

It was dull, you’re right, but it drew me in anyway in a sleepy kind of “oh this nice la la la” sort of way. And I thought the fighting sections were fun. Still, this was ages ago, I might hate it if I played it now.

14. ecu

Shenmue IS shit, but I still love it. Just because it’s rubbish, doesn’t mean I have to dislike it. It’s a game that has almost no gameplay of any kind, it’s really slow paced and it has terrible voice acting. A bit like Resident Evil, no? A game which is one of my very very favourite series, yet I’d still say they are (4 aside) not very good games. Shenmue just has something about it.

15. patlike

I reckon if you played it now you wouldn’t get past the first 10 minutes.

16. mart

Same could be said of some of the greatest games ever, tbh.

17. patlike

Such as?

18. mart

I dunno, lots :)

I just find going back to any really old game I love, it’s fun to reminisce for a bit, but it never really grabs me again and keeps me coming back. I tried to play the old GTAs recently for example, and find it extremely hard to go back to them.

19. Blerk

I tried to play the PC version of the first GTA just the other day and it’s complete dog shit.

20. patlike

haha :D

The only old games that really hold up for me are the Mario titles. I love them so much. They’re perfect. I could play Super Mario World, Super Mario III, etc, all day.

Zelda, on the other hand: dogshit.

21. Spiral

I wouldn’t say dogshit. Some absolutely horrible design decisions in them though. God damn flippers.

22. patlike

There are bits in them that require ludicrous leaps of logic coupled with no hints as to what to do. They drive me mad. Every single time, I find myself just standing othere completely clueless about what to do. This normally coincides with me switching off the console.

23. Spiral

Yup. Frankly if I hadn’t played the newer ones I doubt I could have completed LttP. I was playing it alongside someone who rates it as one of the best games ever and there were times even he couldn’t tell me what to do.

24. patlike

Didn’t even touch Twilight Princess. There aren’t enough hours in a life.

25. Blerk

TP’s not that long. I cleared it in about 30 hours or so, I think. It only takes a gazillion years if you’re stupidly anal about collecting/seeing every single tiny little thing in the entire world.

26. patlike

Wow, I thought it was much longer. I’m sure a few people said to me it took them 70 hours.

27. Blerk

Yeah, well they’re fucking nutters. :-D

28. morriss

I bought Beyond Good and Evil on the PS2 today for a tenner. What do I win?

29. wz

I cleared the first one with a friend in a day-night-day session. About 30 hours or so.

30. mortiferus

Shenmue was more of an experience than a game, but a very good experience at that. In a way Shenue was a precursor to games like GTA IV, with it’s AI driven populous and night day cycle amongst other features. I really hope Sega closes the series with a final game, or heck how aout a CGI production, darn it just give us closure. :)

31. Azuma

I don’t care what any of you say. Shenmue was a great game and an incredible experience.

Patlike, your credibility went to shit as soon as you called Zelda “dogshit.”

32. morriss

:D

33. patlike

Azuma: :D

*actually laughing*

34. njc3190

This article reminded me of the day I walked into that games shop and how grateful i am that just by chance picked this game up off the shelf and bought it. There’s absolutely no deying the game’s beauty and cinematic quality, even if some of you out there found Shenmue to be boring. It has this immersive feel to it, beautiful and interactive envirnoments and it was far ahead of its time. It’s by no means crap! I’m all for a Shenmue 3 release.