IGN gives Haze 4.5/10

Tuesday, 20th May 2008 09:00 GMT By Patrick Garratt

haze13.jpg

Update: UK reviews have been embargoed until Friday. See here.

Update two: Ubi’s now lifted the review embargo. See here.

Oh dear. This could get nasty. IGN’s published its Haze review, and it’s a woeful 4.5/10. The sound you can hear is one of an almost-certain universal kicking. Unless there’s been a glitch in the Matrix, expect less than celebratory verdicts to pile in behind this one as we move through the week.

The first reviews popped up yesterday, with Famitsu giving the shooter 34/40 and the Italian PSM marking it 9/10.

Gamereactor gave it 6/10, but then pulled the piece after it emerged an embargo had been broken. Must have been a special, secret Swedish embargo, or something.

Thanks, Blerk.

1. Blerk

Poor old Free Radical. Perhaps now they’ll do that Second Sight sequel I’ve been badgering Nekotcha about? :-)

2. patlike

I don’t reckon this is going to be pretty, personally.

*head in sand*

3. morriss

“This alpha male broad stroke is painted with comments such as “It’s like taking candy from a crippled baby,” and “Is there an award for most badass gangsta? Because that’s me!”

Oh dear Yescombe.

4. patlike

:o

5. Blerk

Perhaps it’s “ironic”? Er… maybe. :-D

6. patlike

I’m going to give it a go anyway. I’ll get the 360 version.

O.

7. El_MUERkO

oh dear :O

8. morriss

“Haze was touted as a great PS3 exclusive from a developer well versed in first-person shooter mechanics. While Free Radical does have a solid pedigree, Haze does not live up to the company’s reputation thanks to a horrible plot, weak gameplay mechanics and visuals that are truly underwhelming. While playing with friends is enjoyable, not even those are enough to bring this lackluster title around.”

Oh dear, oh dear.

9. patlike

Sounds brilliant. System-seller.

10. morriss

Without wishing to victimise anyone, it really does sound like Yescombe has f**ked up here:

“Earlier I mentioned the ridiculous commentary from the Mantel Troops, who frequently blather stupid phrases in the middle of battle. The Promise Hand isn’t much better, although they seem stuck with only a few phrases, such as “Remember The Promise” or “Mantel will fall today.” Since the soldiers seem constantly stuck on the same phrases ad nauseum, you’ll find yourself muting most of the game. Shane will also have this effect upon you, although you might scream at the TV because his lines come across so poorly.”

“What’s more, the character of Carpenter doesn’t endear himself to the player, especially because he either whines through sections of missions or seems perpetually lost, making him come across to the player as exceedingly weak and not someone you want to take through the entire game regardless of what happens to him. It doesn’t really help in the middle of battle, when you’re dodging bullets or rockets from your former company, to hear Shane complain about not being sure what to do next.”

Obviously that doesn’t make up for the graphical glitches, dodgy AI etc., but a good script and decent voice acting can elevate any game.

11. Harry

I didn’t realise IGN gave scores below 7.

12. Blerk

They reserve sub-7 scores for really poor games which don’t book any advertising.

13. pleasant_cabbage

:D
    I don’t think IGN’s scores have been that wildly out in recent times, one or two exceptions of course but what site hasn’t?

So it is officially Hazelol yet?

I’m still hoping for solid multiplayer mirth but that wish is beginning to look a bit optimistic.

It is only me or is nectar almost exactly the same as feral abilities in far cry? All helps keep adding to the perception that this is a mish-mash of things…

14. Tonka

Yeah, thanks a lot Blerk. :P

15. Blerk

That’s me off the Free Radical Christmas card list, no doubt. :-(

16. G1GAHURTZ

Haa ha haaa!!

I have to laugh.

Only because Free Radical turned me down after having an interview to work on this game about 2 and a half years ago.

But I’m not bitter…

Oh no, I’m not bitter…

Mwahahahahahaa!!!

17. Blerk

That’s one for your CV, then:
    “I wasn’t even good enough to work on Haze.”

;-)

18. morriss

Ha!

19. pjmaybe

“Poor old Free Radical. Perhaps now they’ll do that Second Sight sequel I’ve been badgering Nekotcha about?”

What, you reckon they’ll still be around in a couple of months? I wouldn’t put money on it.

Poor Nekotcha.

20. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah right!

I’m more inclined to think of it as that their decision making process was ‘haphazard’ at best from beginning to end, and was manifested in their crap review score.

Anyway, I think I just asked for too much money in the end, so they must pay crap wages too.

21. Tonka

Here’s a shovel for you. Keep digging

22. G1GAHURTZ

ok, I’ll just stay in my deep hole with my lovely couple of 8.0 review scores that I’ve got on my last two games since then, shall I?

tee hee!

23. DrDamn

Read the review. Most of it is fairly valid but they do seem to have missed a couple of important points. For example you aren’t meant to like your team mates at the start – they are meant to put you off. It’s part of why you switch sides.

24. patlike

Oh dear. I’m hearing very bad things about this behind the scenes.

25. Blerk

Spill it! The public has a right to know! :-D

26. SplatteredHouse

That section that Morriss pulled from IGN review earlier, highlights the likelihood that nothing improved, from the demo and feedback, therefrom. The rest of it suggests, that the demo showed us the bits they WANTED us to see. :(

DrDamn:
    Oh, they did put me off. Of wanting to play anymore.

The most-touted aspects seem to have fallen flat, and on such a foundation, ushered in the toppling of HAZE’s house of cards.
    How they could have screwed up so bad on the technical side, though, I just cannot fathom! :x

27. BillyBatts

“They reserve sub-7 scores for games which don’t book any advertising.”

Fixed.

28. G1GAHURTZ

“Oh dear. I’m hearing very bad things about this behind the scenes.”

I’m not suprised. Sony will be reacting very badly to this. I’ve heard that they can come down very hard on developers when they want to.

Ubisoft are not made of money either.

They have both invested a whole lot of time and no doubt, a lot of money into a 4.5 product, so I’m not suprised at all.

29. DrDamn

@SplatteredHouse
    “Oh, they did put me off. Of wanting to play anymore.”

So games should just be full of characters you like? Good luck with those interesting stories there. Seriously, the story is not very well scripted but they tried to do something with the plot at the beginning which actually worked and it still gets put down as a “bad” point.

I’m a bit concerned about what this means for future projects from FR. I’ve always liked the Timesplitters games.

30. GordonR

I’m guessing we won’t be seeing much more of Rob Yescombe as the poster boy for games scriptwriting.

31. Blerk

32. Psychotext

I’m hearing that some UK retailers have today changed the status on the pre-orders for this game from “awaiting” to “shipped” so you can’t cancel.

That’s just cold.

33. Blerk

People who pre-order stuff before they know what it’s like deserve all they get. ;-)

34. Psychotext

You’re a bad person!

35. Blerk

Yes. Yes, I am.

36. SplatteredHouse

Maybe they do have some business being annoying, just as I have every right not to want to continue playing, because of the negative result of decisions made. I’ve spent too much thought on this! :p

37. G1GAHURTZ

“How I laughed when, not so long ago, they were putting out press releases about the Haze script being 1000 pages long, so….y’know….it must be good then!”

LOL

Yeah, I remember that!

‘Our game is so good because the script is 1000 pages long!’

Ha ha!

Like I said then, you know your game is looking crap when one of your USP’s is the length of the script.

38. Chinster

Hope FR can weather this storm and bounce back.

39. GordonR

“Actually the script is one of the things I’ll be interested to read about in the UK reviews. The Yanks wouldn’t know a good story if it bit them on the arse.”

Neither does Yescombe, judging by everything I’ve seen on the game, going way back.

A producer at a major UK developer told me recently that they were thinking about hiring an in-house writer, but that all the best talent was freelance, who usually took a lot of persuading (and dosh) to give up their independent status, so, generally, it was the second-raters you would get applying for the job.