New ArmA 2 screens released

Thursday, 15th May 2008 11:41 GMT By Patrick Garratt

arma2.jpg

Bohemia’s shown of some new screens of go-anywhere-do-anything war sim ArmA 2, and it’s looking pretty hot. They’re on GamersHell. As far as we can see this doesn’t have a release date at all at the moment. Bohemia was the original developer of Codemasters’ Operation Flashpoint, the sequel to which was brought in house at the publisher and is expected later this year.

More on this soon, hopefully.

1. Tiger Walts

Haven’t even got round to trying ArmA yet. I badly need a new PC.

I spent loads of time creating huge battles in the OpFlash editor, with scripting to bring in re-enforcements.

2. mart

Pointless. Why not just join the army?

3. patlike

Because “being shot at” isn’t something I ever want to do in reality? :)

4. mart

Hehehehe

5. patlike

:D

6. El_MUERkO

ArmA much like OFP is flawed genius, ArmA was made on a heavily modified OFP engine which is basically DX7 tech. I own the German version and the English release that came much later, I also picked up Queens Gambit.

The animation, AI and physical solidity of the game world can all be ropey at times but it is unique. There is simply no other game like ArmA.

Here’s hoping the new engine they’ve made for ArmA2 will help resolve those issues, in my dreams they’d incorporate a hefty dose of Havoc and Euphoria physics to really solidify the game world.

As for the new screenshot, some nice vegetation :)

7. pjmaybe

One thing Bohemia are absolutely hopeless at is Q & A. The bugs in ArmedA put me off, despite the game being absolutely miles better than the last Battlefield games – the experience was just ruined by the bugs.

Hopefully Op Flashpoint 2 might be a better bet (let’s pray codies don’t screw it up).

ArmedA2? Looks OK but I’d need to see it moooooving first.

8. Whizzo

I played hundreds of hours of OFP in multiplayer, the EG thread on the subject is evidence of that, ArmA I played less than half a dozen hours as there’s something not right about it.

I may give it another go with all the inevitable patches but disappointment isn’t a strong enough word for how I felt about the title.

9. El_MUERkO

ArmA wasn’t released buggy on purpose, they simply couldn’t afford to wait any longer to release it. It has been patched regularly ever since with the latest Beta Patch (1.12) improving performance massively allowing me to hugely extend the view distance which makes chopper flying infinitely more fun.

I’ll admit I am a total fanboy when it comes to BIS simply because they’re the only developers even daring to do this kind of game.