New firmware to fix GTA IV PS3 freezing?

Monday, 12th May 2008 23:20 GMT By Patrick Garratt

According to this post on the boardsus.playstation forum, 2K’s tech support has said that Sony is looking into making a new firmware for the 60GB PS3 in order to fix GTA IV’s freezing problems.

The email to the frustrated user apparently said:

There is an issue with the launch edition of the PS3 and this game, the game was checked over and passed as 100% compatible with the current version of the PS3, of course the earlier version has custom chips which mean that it is a very different animal from the current PS3 on sale.

Sony are aware of this difference and are looking into producing a new firmware just for the earlier version of the PS3.

Kind Regards

2K games Tech Support

Should be Sony “is”. Bad! 2K tech guys! Bad!

By Mike Bowden

1. Aretak

Hmm… the patch that Rockstar released fixed the freezing problems on my 60GB model.

2. Zumi

I’ve had my 360 version freeze a couple of times.

3. morriss

People are saying it’s got something to do with manufacturing dates, I don’t know.

Could be a riddle wrapped in an enigma, who knows?

4. Psychotext

There’s some pretty big threads on it out there. Definitely a problem… but I imagine the specifics are hard to tie down.

5. Psychotext

Just noticed this:

“Should be Sony “is”. Bad! 2K tech guys! Bad!”

Both are used interchangeably (moreso in certain countries). You can refer to a company as an individual entity or the people that make up that company.

6. Daniel Plainview

I’ve got a 60gig aussie release & I’ve not had any issues with freezing, I do seem to get signed off after playing for a while

7. morriss

@Psychotext: Try saying that to our faces! I dare you!

Sony is, Microsoft is, and we’ll hear no more about it!!