Alone in the Dark to sell 2-3 million units, says Infogrames

Thursday, 10th April 2008 20:02 GMT By Patrick Garratt

aloneinthedark4.JPG

According to this Reuters report, new Infogrames boss David Gardner has very high hopes for Alone in the Dark, releasing this June.

“Over the life of the product in this business year across platforms we are expecting between 2 and 3 million units,” he said.

Gardner also said that his priority now he’s taken over as CEO is to get the company back to break-even. Like, dur.

“We want to stop losing money,” he said. “This management’s team number one goal is to get a business plan together that gets us to a break-even level.”

1. Zumi

No chance, unless it turns out to be absolutely amazing.

And you know it’s also coming to PS2, PS3 and Wii, right?

2. patlike

I did. It just didn’t enter my brain when I posted it. Ta :D

3. Zumi

According to this page of the top 100 selling games in the US/EU last year –

Only the top 17 games got over 3M sales, and only the top 22 got over 2M, and half of them were movie licenses and EA sports games. The only game in the top 20 that didn’t have any existing-IP weight behind it was Assassin’s Creed. AitD is a sequel, but I don’t think the name/IP carries much weight among the consumer. It’s going to have to be really good, but even then I think 2-3M is a little optimistic.

4. kasai

yeah but 2m across several different platforms I think is easily done surely ?

5. Blerk

glol! Good luck with that, Atari!

6. Random_H

And you know what? I really hope they do. When they showed us the game at last years GC, it became very apparent that it had wagonloads of creativity, know how and love poured into it. I haven’t seen such an ambitious game since the first tech-videos of HL2.

They could still royally screw it up, or only make a deeply flawed game, but goddamn me, they really tried to do something special.

So looking forward to this.

Alex

7. patlike

I just hope the “game” stands up to the tech.

8. Random_H

What I really like about it is not only the tech, but the progression in the game. Structuring it in episodes to get the optimal pace and hiring a REAL writer to get that done are two things that really make it stand out. Add to that the breaking of gaming clichès, like not being able to bust oben a wooden door with all of your arsenal; and – at least on paper – you have a very unique promise of a game.

These elements alone could make a mediocre game into something special. But yeah, there’s still lots of room for royal fuck ups, controls and animation being the most important ones.

But even in clunky-choppyvision I’d like to play it. You would still have some of the most impressive tech to date, buried deeper inside the way a game ist played than ever. Which at least should leave space for lots of funny experiments. But sure, I prefer they’d make it kick ass from beginning to the end. :D

bye,