Freeloader may not work with Japanese Mario Kart

Tuesday, 8th April 2008 15:54 GMT By Patrick Garratt

mariokartwii15.jpg

Play-Asia’s just put the following message to those with pre-orders for the Japanese version of Mario Kart Wii, according to GoNintendo:

This is an important e-mail update regarding your pending preorder Mario Kart Wii (w/ Wii Handle) (Nintendo™ Wii Japan, NTSC J)

We received the first small delivery today for testing and unfortunately we have to inform you, that the game is not compatible with the Datel Freeloader (US and PAL Version).

In case that this affects your preorder, please contact our customer service as soon as possible to amend/cancel your order, as otherwise we will ship your order within the next 48 hours.

If you own a Japanese Wii and you do not want to change your orders, you do not have to reply to this email.

Once again thanks for shopping with us and sorry for the inconvenience caused.

That’s a shame. Or not. Depends whether or not you’re Nintendo Europe, really.

1. Chinster

Flip me, didn’t take long for Ninty to sort out Datel.

2. Blerk

Why would anyone order the Japanese version when the European version’s out in about ten minutes? :-D

3. Chinster

I ain’t getting it on any version. I’m a bit bored of it to be honest.

4. patlike

Because they’re 733t hardcore and can only play games in Japanese.

*ties Japanese flag round head*

5. patlike

It doesn’t real appeal to me. And I’m too busy with Disgaea, to be honest.

6. Blerk

Have you lot got a Peach fetish, btw?

7. patlike

I’ve used everything else. People need to take a leaf out of Rockstar’s book and release hundreds of art-quality shots per game. Just the VG247, specifically.

8. TJ

Nice of them to warn everyone, though.

9. patlike

They’re pretty good, Play-Asia, I reckon.

10. Zumi

VG+ do the same.

11. patlike

I’m going to get Crisis Core through them, I think.

12. Hero of Canton

Play-Asia ARE ace, as are VG+. They’re my two importers of choice.

In other news, Mario Kart Wii can seriously fuck off, the cheating piece of scum. Four blue shells on one lap? FOUR?

13. Chinster

Is it still doing the rubber banding and giving the enemy AI loads of blue shells when you’re in the lead?

Some things never change.

14. haowan

never been good since the SNES

15. Hero of Canton

The rubber-banding is worse than ever. The racers are now so bunched up that a couple of hits from shells or whatever can see you plummet to tenth position or below. And some of the new items totally unbalance the game. The Bullet Bills which zoom you – or more often your opponents – from about ninth to around third place are among the worst offenders.

My language has been absolutely shocking today. I’ve not played a game in a long time that’s made me swear this much.

16. Tonka

So blocking FreeLoader is ok but frying consoles with chips is out of bounds?

17. grandmaster

So, like GT5 Prologue is this another game that everyone says is brilliant but is actually… not?