First Warhammer 40K MMO details

Tuesday, 8th April 2008 12:53 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Courtesy of CVG via the latest issue of the UK’s PC Gamer.

• Combat includes cover, suppressive fire and flanking.
  • Firefights will take place on a larger scale than those planned in WAR.
  • “All of the races important to Warhammer 40,000 lore (not to mention the fans) will be represented”, creative director Joe Madureira has explained, adding that “we want each and every race to have weight in the game world… and feel distinct.”
  • There’ll be “tons of stuff hanging off your character, weapons, scrolls… we are going to have the coolest looking characters of any MMO, ever,” said Madureira. “Once we begin releasing images, feel free to call me on that.”
  • “Players”, PC Gamer says, “will get to explore cities, alien temples, Chaos shrines, deserted battlefields (er, woo?), mysterious ruins, ancient structures, and – here’s the cool one – ‘drifting hulks in space’. Space hulks, we call those”.

It’s still years off, but that should easily be enough to keep the faithful excited. More through the link.

1. pjmaybe

I think I’ve just had an accident in my pants. Possibly the ONLY MMO (aside from APB) that I’ll ever play.

2. 303

If this is anything like I see it in my head then I can’t wait. It’ll be my first MMO in a long time.

3. Whizzo

If combat isn’t standard MMO fair, the first bullet point seems to indicate that, then count me in too.

Just as long as they take a look at Tabula Rasa and don’t make a game anything like that!

4. El_MUERkO

the big point i’ve pulled from the C&VG article is that it’s not an MMOFPS

if ever there was a chance to use a big ip for a planetside style while taking advantage of new tech and gameplay advancements like cover systems and 3rd person melee then surely Warhammer 40k would be it!?!

who the hell thinks of these games

for a thousand online gamers a choice between an MMOFPS 40k and a WoW style 40k and i guarantee you t70%+ will choose the FPS option

5. ginger

since it’s so far away, I think I’ll wait and see on this one.