Thief 4 on its way?

Saturday, 5th April 2008 12:03 GMT By Patrick Garratt

thief.jpg

Yesterday we reported that Eidos Montreal was creating a new ‘AAA’ game, with the letter ‘T’ being the only clue given as to the project’s identity.

It seems now that the game in question is, in fact, Thief 4. Not Trombone Rider.

If you check the Facebook profile pic of Stephane D’Astous, the general manager at Eidos Montreal, you’ll see that the letter ‘T’ Thief logo is displayed.

That’s good enough for us! Maybe.

By Mike Bowden

1. XDamage

Thief was one of my favorite game series ever, next to Deus Ex. But they ofcourse had to ruin both by mainstreaming them.

Hope they do better with this one (and the new Deus Ex), but I doubt it until I see it with my own eyes. :)

2. morriss

Damn! I was really hoping for Trombone Rider.

3. kasai

I just had sex reading the title of this news I love the Thief Series :)

4. Blerk

I’ve never played a Thief game. I’m suspicious of any game that the PC mob say is the “bestest game ever ever ever” after being suckered into buying Deus Ex, though. And that Half Life should be called “Half As Good As They Reckon It Is”.

5. patlike

I saw Thief at ECTS years ago. A developer showed it to me. He went on about it being open-ended, etc, but just seemed to walk into rooms and shoot people in the head a lot.

6. Blerk

The exact same issue I had with Deus Ex. Maybe I just don’t “get it”.

7. TJ

The last Thief was rubbish. The first two were two of the greatest games ever made. Easy.

This one will be rubbish too, along with Deus Ex 3. We all know it. Back in the day, this sequel was rumoured to be sci-fi. Which will also be rubbish.

8. Tiger Walts

Thief : Deadly Shadows was still, at its core, very much the same experience as the first two. It was however diluted in some aspects but this was offset by some of the greatest set-ups in the series. A masterpiece flawed by compromises.

9. Blerk

Wouldn’t a sci-fi Thief essentially be Splinter Cell? :-)

10. Tiger Walts

Yes and no. Each SC level is incredibly linear, you may get a few slightly different routes through but it’s still just a very wide corridor. Thief levels are generally topologically complex and open from the start and you find your way through them organically rather than being led by the nose by a voice in your head. Thief is also more forgiving when your presence is detected. They are the same game but Thief is just more fun.

11. patlike

I never, ever got on with SC. It’s one of the most annoying “modern” games ever made, in my opinion.

12. Blerk

Ah. Sounds more like Hitman than Splinter Cell, then.