SCEA: We underestimated 80Gb PS3 demand

Thursday, 3rd April 2008 11:23 GMT By Patrick Garratt

SCEA marketing boss Scott Steinberg has admitted that demand for the 80Gb PS3 SKU in America has taken SCEA by surprise, giving rise to a shortage of the machine.

“Our strategy at the end of the year was to offer up a $399 40Gb, which we thought was the magic price for a Blu-ray machine, and then a $499 80Gb,” he said, speaking to Gamedaily. “What we were surprised to see is that $100 really didn’t matter to a certain customer.

“Our sales were fairly equitable according to TRST and our internal numbers through the holidays and even into January; we’re pretty dry on the 80 GB as a result of us underestimating the demand for the 80 GB and thinking that most folks, because the price message was such a big part of the pundits and the analysts decrying the differences between the 360 and the PS3, [would prefer the 40 GB]. Reality is the price wasn’t that big of a deal and $499 sold a lot more than we thought, so the 80 GB got dry at retail not due to us artificially compressing it but the demand became greater than we thought.”

More through the link. Thanks, Blerk.

1. Shatner

I can’t help but think this is an overly optimistic view of the situation. But then, he’s the head of marketing – so it should be expected.

2. patlike

I wish they’d bring this out over here. 40Gb just isn’t enough.

3. epic_wanderer

Also, “a certain customer” would prefer a PS3 with backwards compatibility (even if it is only software emulation). If they brought one out over here with that spec I would buy it. I only got a PS2 last year so still have a few games that I haven’t even started and would certainly prefer to play them on the PS3.

4. patlike

The dream :(

5. Shatner

Pat, I’ve a 40gb and, admittedly, few games but I fully intended to plonk in a HOOJ hard disk in the near future. From what I’ve been lead to believe it’s very straightforward. After all, 80gb might not seem enough either…

6. patlike

Hmm. This is true. I guess I’ve got a TB of PC hard disc for music, etc.

7. Blerk

Come on, SCEE – give us that US MGS pack. That’s all anyone’s asking for.

8. epic_wanderer

Yes, we want dual shocks too. I want a PS3 now (not for any specific games, which is why I’m willing to wait) but the fact that other parts of the world are not just getting a better deal financially but also getting a better gadget is hard to swallow.

9. morriss

I’m a mug who spend £500 one year ago on the 4 USB, Back Compat Mega Pack with 1 free shit Blu Ray film.

10. Blerk

Earlyadopterlol!

11. morriss

\o/

/glares at HD-DVD collection

;)

12. Blerk

Never short of a coaster at morriss’s house.

13. Tiger Walts

Hah, and Sony bods were saying the multiple 360 SKUs were confusing. You probably need a 3D Venn diagram to explain the functionality in the different PS3s.

14. Daniel Plainview

@Tiger Walts: hardly.

It’s very easy to upgrade, I’ve got a PAL launch 60gig & I’ve never used the backwards compatibility

15. Killerbee

Sony still don’t quite get it, though, do they? Price was always the major concern of the original launch PS3s – they were far too expensive in comparison to the 360.

The problem – and the big mistake Sony made – was in thinking that a price cut could be justified by also cutting features from the console. The fact is, many people still wanted a cheaper *fully featured* PS3, not one that was cheaper but dropped stuff like PS2 backwards compatibility and doesn’t have enough USB ports for Rock Band.

Anyway, the sooner this news filters through to Sony Europe, the better.