PS3 1080i support working in Burnout Paradise

Tuesday, 1st April 2008 05:45 GMT By Patrick Garratt

burnoutparadise8.jpg

According to Criterion’s site, the developer’s got 1080i support working in the PS3 version of Burnout Paradise, allowing people that own a 1080i TV that doesn’t support 720p to run the game in HD as opposed to SD. The feature is to be included in the next patch, 1.3 or “Cagney” as it’s called by the studio. More through the link.

1. morriss

If only every game could to do it!

(has got a 1080i only telly)

2. patlike

Me too. But I’ve been playing the 360 version, and it looks just fine :)

3. morriss

Wow, so I’m not the only one in Europe?! Bloody hell, you’re the only other person I’ve come into contact with who’s in the same situation.

A word of warning, if you get a PS3 90% of boxed games are 720p only meaning they scale ‘down’ to 576p not up. So no high def.

It’s the cross I have to bear.

4. patlike

How completely stupid. That really is very stupid indeed. Hopefully more studios will follow Criterion’s lead, then.

5. Blerk

Two people in the ‘bizarre telly club’? Separated at birth, obviously. Have we ever seen them in a room together?

6. patlike

1080p seemed like an extravagance when I bought mine. I assumed PS3 games would look good on my 1080i television. How naive.

7. Blerk

No, I mean the “my telly can’t do 720p” club. Before morriss I’d been under the impression that every modern HD telly could do 720p.

8. patlike

I’ve got a 32″ Bravia. I’m going to check if it can do 720p. If it doesn’t I’m going to have a huge cry.

9. Blerk

Ah, a Sony. Yeah, it’ll do 720p, I’m almost certain. Don’t worry.

Normality restored. morriss on his lonesome again. :-D

10. morriss

:D

Yeah, it’ll do it.

My telly was bought on the eve of high def, which is why it’s 1080i only. It’s still however one of the best displays I’ve seen to date, however. It’s just Sony (unlike MS) couldn’t be arsed to implement a scaler and now the dev companies can’t be arsed as it takes up too much space.

11. patlike

*mops brow*

12. Blerk

It is rather silly that Sony didn’t do a proper scaler. Just like it’s a bit silly that they don’t support 60hz on standard-def displays. It’s all a bit half-arsed, really.

13. morriss

Yeah I really don’t get it. For such a powerful, top-specced machine there are some glaring basic ommissions in the hardware/software. Shame really, but hopefully firmware updates etc., could fix them all in time.

14. Blerk

I think a lot of it probably comes down to the last minute rush to cobble in a third-party GPU. If it’d all been done with the Cell as they originally intended then they’d probably have done everything that you would’ve expected.

15. morriss

Doesn’t really comfort me, but thanks. :)

Simple things like auto-detection of audio output would have been great. For example, I was watching a BD (No Country…) the other day when the missus asked if I could put the surround sound on. I switched on the amp but of course nothing happened. I then remembered that to enable it I had to quit the film, go the the XMB, choose sound Settings, select 5.1, then back to film again.

Couldn’t be arsed.