IGN posts megaton Dan Houser interview, wins GTA World Word War record by distance

Monday, 31st March 2008 13:07 GMT By Patrick Garratt

gtaiv30.jpg

Here. This is fucking epic, frankly. There are more words in this Dan Houser interview related to Grand Theft Auto than you could possibly ever need. A quick cut and paste into Word reckons this article’s over 9,000 words long.

Unbelievably, this is part one, with the second piece being published next week. Author Hilary Goldstein’s piece shits all over the previous record-holder, Edge’s 16-page GTA marathon, which in turn trumped Australian site Gameplayer’s ten-page playtest at 5,000 words.

Hilary and IGN: we salute you. You have more words on Grand Theft Auto than anyone else. If you can make part two more than 11,000 words, you will have written a third of a novel on a crime action series. No one, no one, is going to beat that. You win.

1. Blerk

That Edge interview was actually really good. Loads of great insight into the series as a whole.

2. Blerk

Seen these?

3. patlike

I’m sure the Edge piece was good, but I have a massive aversion to giant word counts.

4. patlike

Cheers. Just done a story on those shots.

5. Zumi

The difference is that one page from the Edge preview is worth more than the entirety of anything in shittest-site-on-the-internet, IGN.

6. patlike

Good as it may be, I’m guessing aside from Blerk, there are about three other people in Britain that read the entire thing. Call me a cynic.

7. Blerk

I’m a huge ‘interview cynic’, I hardly ever bother to read them even if I like the interviewee’s games. They’re generally dreadfully boring, full of interviewer sycophancy and/or just glorified adverts for the dev’s forthcoming title. This one seemed different, though. Doubt I’ll bother with IGN, though. :-D

8. patlike

I’d probably give the Edge article a go. If I read Edge :D

9. Blerk

The whole thing’s on Next-Gen.biz, officially like.

10. patlike

I’ll have a looksie.

11. AMG

I can’t be arsed to read the IGN article. How many times does it use the word “ton”? “Tons of options, tons of guns” etc.

Can anyone condense it into a couple of bullet points for me?

12. patlike

I can condense every article written on GTA IV for you so far:

“It’s good.”

13. deftangel

I read the whole thing admittedly. Not sure I can stomach a whole 9000 words on IGN…is there anything actually new in it?

14. patlike

No idea. There’s no way I’m reading it.

15. grandmaster

I’d sooner read an IGN megaton Doogie Howser interview – only the power of Neil Patrick Harris himself can save us from the ‘oncoming storm’ that is GTA IV.

16. patlike

I bet KITT could save us from it. He could rocket-boost away from it.

17. grandmaster

EXCLUSIVE footage of Pat’s exclusive GIGATON interview with Doogie Dan Houser!!!

18. patlike

That fucking kills me. It’s the punch at the end that does it.

19. Zumi

I think you were too hasty to call this an IGN win! CVG returns to our shelves, with a 180 page GTA article. I know it’s not online, but still!

20. Blerk

Christ on a bike. Who’d want to read 180 pages about one game?

21. Zumi

I want it. :D

22. Blerk

Christ on a bike. What normal person would want to read 180 pages about one game? ;-)