SCEA belittles Xbox 360 GTA IV DLC

Saturday, 29th March 2008 09:01 GMT By Patrick Garratt

gtaiv291.jpg

Bitter? In no way. SCEA’s marketing boss, Scott Steinberg, reckons most people won’t be bothered with 360′s exclusive GTA IV downloadable content. Well, he would, wouldn’t he.

“[Microsoft] spent the GNP of several small Latin American countries to get that [content], and if you’ve ever played San Andreas…there’s a lot of game to Grand Theft Auto and there’s going to be a lot of game to Grand Theft Auto IV to the point where I think most people will have that Grand Theft Auto experience on the PS3, day and date, same core game shipping on the 360. Perhaps they’ll be shipping some episodic content in the fall, but there is a whole lot of product shipping on the PS3 in April and I personally don’t think there’s going to be a huge percentage of folks who jump into downloadable content for another price when they’re still playing through the core product,” he told GameDaily BIZ.

“So while I do think having that brand on their system was a move for them which they felt they needed to make because they cut a big check for it, I think PlayStation fans know the Grand Theft Auto experience on the PS2 is how they grew up playing Grand Theft Auto,” he continued, “and when you combine GTA IV with MGS 4 and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, all the exclusive content that we’ve got going forward, I think that goes from tipping point to shoving point for consumers who are on the fence, wondering what platform should I buy. I think the clear exclusive message that we have is that the PS3 is where, not only do you get Grand Theft Auto, but you’ll get MGS, you’ll get Gran Turismo and these are also brands that have moved hardware units. It’s the elite of the elite products that actually enable hardware to be sold with software and we’ll have three of them.”

Go Scott. Your blood runs Sony. We salute you.

1. Zumi

I think too much emphasis is being put on how this will affect the format wars, but the real issue for Microsoft is more about turning a profit on the DLC. Anyone that wants GTA DLC will have to buy it on the 360.

2. kasai

Anyone that wants GTA DLC will have to buy it on the 360.

Would you allow someone to play the DLC without the core game you spent months and months on. Of course you have to buy the game on the 360 to play the DLC. I don’t think I know anyone that’s not getting it for the 360. I also know there excited about the DLC just as much as I am.

Sony have this idea that the GTA series is more at home on there console that anyone else’s. Just because a software was released on that console first doesn’t mean it has any attachment to that brand. I certainly don’t see Rock star as a Sony brand. I see them as a controversial developer constantly pushing the barrier on whats allowed in games today.

The DLC will sell and it will sell a bucket load any GTA fan that owns a 360 would have to be insane not to want the extra content.

3. Zumi

I meant that they will be getting all the profit from the DLC, it’s about convincing people to buy the 360 version and to then in turn spend money on the DLC. It’s main aim is NOT to convince people to buy a 360 over a PS3. That’s just how I see it anyway.

4. Tonka

I’m looking forward to MS marketing push for this

5. grandmaster

Sony ‘spent the GNP of several small Latin American countries’ securing Tomb Raider and GTA for previous PlayStations, so the whining this time rings hollow.

6. morriss

It’s really quite a childish thing to say, isn’t it?

7. Enkeixpress

He has no idea what he is talking about.. He’s just backing up Sony thats all…

8. XDamage

Lol. Sure, if someone wants those two pieces of “episodic content” (though they don’t know how big it is, or how much it will cost) that are exclusive for the 360, then ofcourse they have to buy that console.

But to think that there will be no DLC, or perhaps even exclusive DLC to the PS3 version also down the line, thats just stupid. :-D

9. morriss

They’ll be DLC although I very much doubt it’ll be exclusive.

10. XDamage

Yeah well, it all boils down to who you believe. Extremely biased industry people, or extremely biased rumours. :D

We’ll see if Sony announce anything between now and the release date. If any of the new PSW rumours holds water then we should hear official word from Sony in the near future.
    It would be foolish of Sony to let the MS GTA IV PR machine run smooth throughout April. ;)

11. haowan

“That is the most stupidest article I have ever read. Downloadable content is always necessary.”

lol