Gran Turismo 5 “is still about a year away”, says dev

Wednesday, 26th March 2008 07:07 GMT By Patrick Garratt

gt5prologue11.jpg

Speaking here, SCEA’s Chris Hinojosa-Miranda has said that the full version of Gran Turismo 5 will be shipping roughly in the first half of next year.

“You could borrow it from someone, but that’s like licking the bowl after someone’s finished the ice cream,” he said in response to a question about whether a user should buy Prologue or wait for the full version. “Also, to further clarify, GT5 is still about a year away. You should just decide now to buy it, enjoy it, go online and race against anyone and everyone, rank number one worldwide, get the girl (or guy) and become the most popular kid in town. The end.”

Hinojosa-Miranda’s comments come after UK retailer GAME sent an email to subscribers saying the final version of the racing title wouldn’t be seen until 2009.

GT5: Prologue releases in Europe on Friday.

1. morriss

What on earth is he talking about?

2. patlike

Ice cream. And 2009.

3. Hero of Canton

“You could borrow it from someone, but that’s like licking the bowl after someone’s finished the ice cream.”

Er, no it’s not.

They love their food analogies, the Japanese, don’t they? I remember one of those Iwata Asks interviews with Miyamoto where the entire thing was basically “[food analogy](laughs), [food analogy](chuckles)” all the way through.

4. Syrok

That’s not really a surprise, GT games always get delayed by at least a year. :)
    And SCEE already confirmed that at the beginning of the month.

5. patlike

They did exactly the same thing with GT3, iirc.

6. grandmaster

Am I the only one really annoyed with GT5 Prologue? I’m spending most of my time driving around and around the Daytona oval grinding for cash to buy the next car I need to progress in the single-player game.

I’ve given up now with it because I’ve calculated that I’ll need to drive around the oval for 1hr 45mins to get the next car I need – the Ferrari F40. I’ve completed all the other races, so how else can I quickly get cash?

And of course those same cars are needed to compete online too.

It really is just a large-ish playable demo artificially strung out to make it into some semblance of a GT game, but I’m really not fooled.

7. morriss

I don’t actually own it as it isn’t out yet! ;)

8. patlike

@GM – Precisely the reason I never play them. My life is short, frankly.

9. grandmaster

There’s always an amount of race repetition in GT games. But GT5 Prologue is absolutely ridiculous. I played GT5P for around 8 hours over the weekend and four of them were spent driving around and around the Daytona oval grinding for cash just to buy the next car I need to continue racing competitively.

Now with 1hr 45mins of oval action required to get the Ferrari F40 needed to be competitive in the S class races I’ve just completely lost the will to live.

The car’s something like 450,000 credits and I get a max 20,000 credits per race, with each race taking four minutes 20 seconds. Factor in a few more minutes for mucking around with menus as you do the same race 22 times and then do the “math”.

The only alternative is to replay a variety of other races, some of which don’t yield as much cash and all of which take longer to complete.

Wierdly this absurb level of repetition doesn’t seem to have got a lot of coverage in the many glowing reviews.

10. Syrok

I seem to remember that you could get money for winning online races.

11. grandmaster

And to win online races, you need to grind like a madman to get a competitive car. In the JP version I never got as far as getting the Ferrari F430 so basically got murdered on most of the game variations on offer online.

I should state for the record though that the grinding is nowhere near as bad as in the JP version which made you buy tat like the Audi TT and Audi R8 in the B class races. Now the oval-a-thon only starts on the A races.

12. patlike

Sounds like the best game ever. I’ll definitely be driving round in a circle for hours and hours on end later this week.

13. Syrok

Surely there are online races limited to Golfs and such?

14. grandmaster

Which weren’t very popular when I played the JP version. And after all, why should they be popular? This is Gran Turismo, I want to race fast, penis-extending four-wheel rockets with more BHP than Stephen Hawking’s IQ, as opposed to racing around in the automative equivalent of his wheelchair.

Plus of course, winning an online race is ten times tougher than winning offline too as the CPU AI is still moronic.

So I guess there are three options then…

1. Drive around in a circle for hours on end
    2. Re-drive races you’ve already completed that are harder, often give less money and take longer to complete
    3. Go online and spend hours/days accruing cash you can get by driving around in a circle for a fraction of the time

15. patlike

4. Turn it off?

“More BHP than Stephen Hawking’s IQ”

hahaha

:D

16. Syrok

This is Gran Turismo, I want to race fast,

Heh, I always thought the GT series was rather slow overall.