SCEE just confirmed that BD-LIVE functionality will be added to PS3 via firmware 2.20 next week.
“With the ability to take full advantage of interactive features, such as downloadable video content, ringtones, games, and more, BD-LIVE promises to offer PS3 users the ultimate interactive film experience,” said the press release. “In addition to BD-LIVE, the system software update will enable photo and music playlists on a PS3 to be copied to a PSP, as well as other new features.
“To access Blu-ray Profile 2.0, users require an Internet connection and at least 1GB of local storage. Movies with BD-LIVE are scheduled for release next month.”
Read the full thing after the link.
Interactive Movies Come to Life on PLAYSTATION®3 with System Software Update Version 2.20
Downloadable Movie Content and Interactive Games, available with BD-LIVE
PS3™’s Interoperability with PSP™(PlayStation®Portable) Enhanced
London, 20th March 2008 – Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) today announced that system software update v.2.20, for PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™), planned for release in late March, will add Blu-ray Disc™ (BD) Profile 2.0 (known as BD-LIVE). With the ability to take full advantage of interactive features, such as downloadable video content, ringtones, games, and more, BD-LIVE promises to offer PS3 users the ultimate interactive film experience. In addition to BD-LIVE, the system software update will enable photo and music playlists on a PS3 to be copied to a PSP™(PlayStation®Portable), as well as other new features.
To access Blu-ray Profile 2.0, users require an Internet connection and at least 1GB of local storage. Movies with BD-LIVE are scheduled for release next month.
The following features have been demonstrated to be possible with BD-LIVE and will vary depending on the title:
• A variety of downloadable content, including bonus scenes, shorts, trailers, subtitles, ringtones that can be sent to mobile phones, images, and more.
• Interactive movie-based games can pit players who are sitting in the same room, or are across the world and online, against each other.
In addition to BD-LIVE, system software update v.2.20 enhances PS3’s relationship with PSP, enabling users to copy their favourite music and photo playlists to their PSP and experience them on-the-go. This new functionality makes it easer than ever to share media content between the two systems.
The following new features will also be included in the system software update:
• “Resume play” will enable PS3 to start playing a BD and DVD video at the point it was stopped, even if the disc had been removed.*1
• “Audio Output Device” will be a new Remote Play setting, enabling PSP to serve as a remote control for music played through PS3.
• PS3’s Internet browser will be enhanced: Video files directly linked from a Web page will be able to be streamed, and the browser’s view speed will be improved.
• DivX and WMV format videos that are larger than 2GB will be playable.
• “Mosquito Noise Reduction” will be added as an AV setting in the control panel of the DVD/BD player for improved movie playback.*2
*1 BD-J format disc is not supported.
*2 BD discs recorded with BDMV format are not supported.
- ends -