Microsoft dismisses discs as “historic phenomenon”, says downloads are the (near) future

Friday, 14th March 2008 09:38 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Xbox Europe boss Chris Lewis reckons “shiny discs” are going to be cast aside in the media race far faster than people suspect, and that Microsoft and Xbox 360 are in the perfect place to take advantage of the trend.

“Going forwards, digital downloads is really where it’s at,” Lewis said. “More and more people’s ongoing and ever-increasing downloading of music and movies is becoming the de facto. I think that’s going to happen in very short order; people want to consume that way. Before very long we will look back wistfully at shiny discs as something that was somewhat a historic phenomenon in a way that we kind of think about vinyl or VCRs today.”

Lewis continued to talk down Blu-ray’s next-gen movie disc victory, saying that the death of HD-DVD wouldn’t affect Xbox 360′s fortunes.

“That’s the future direction, and I think that’s going to be the case in the next 12-18 months,” he predicted. “I think we’re going to be talking much more about that than anything else. Do I think that this Christmas will somehow be defined by DVD playback? I genuinely don’t think that will be the case. I do not think that [the demise of HD DVD] will have any material impact on our console velocity. And I think other factors, specifically our architecture around downloads, is far more advantageous and important for the future.”

Read the rest through the link.

1. Carlo

Saying “This is the future!” is the new “We got done this generation :(”

Having said that, we all know it’s the future (and I certainly prefer it).

2. frod

that 20GB HDD is perfectly placed, yeah.

3. Carlo

Even my 60GB PS3 would not be enough. One of the reasons why I decided to get GT5p on Disk in the end.

All my Music and Photos on the PS3, and a few other downloaded games.

Just not enough space.

Quite how MS thought 20GB was going to be enouhg was beyond me back when it was first launched, let alone now!

4. Blerk

Future? Maybe. Near future? Not a chance.

5. frod

it is kind of silly. A hardcore might build up quickly, but that will never get the prices down.

The confluence of factors needed to get on board with this is going to make it even less palatable than Blu-ray.

6. patlike

It’s years off dominating discs. Even with enough space, most people just don’t want to wait a day to download a 5Gb file. We’ll all need 100Mb connections and giant hard drives before it starts to become genuinely dangerous to things like Blu-ray. can’t see that happening any time soon.

7. pjmaybe

You’ve got to be kidding. With the state of Britain’s broadband, it’d be a nightmare scenario here if ANY manufacturer was daft enough to do this.

For the sake of argument, I can see at least one of the holy trinity of hardware / console devs going down the route of Solid State in line with what’s happening with PC tech sooner rather than later. If not for games, certainly for internal storage in a larger capacity. With the improvements in seek times and overall reliability of flash ram it’s a more sensible way to go than sacking off disks. B’sides, I rather like having shelves full of games. What use is a drive full of downloads?

8. patlike

Those new TB solid state drives look interesting: they may make a difference. But you’re right: until connection speeds pick up for everyone, not just the few prepared to pay for top-end speed, it’s pie in the sky.

9. Shatner

As others have pointed out Microsoft aren’t in control of this situation so these sort of outbursts are just bluff and bluster.