Guitar Hero violates patent, claims Gibson, wants sales halted

Wednesday, 12th March 2008 21:26 GMT By Patrick Garratt

guitarheroiii4.jpg

This could get nasty. Guitar-maker Gibson is claiming that Guitar Hero violates one of its patents. Gibson, in a letter sent to Activision in January, is claiming that the game infringes a 1999 patent for technology used to simulate a musical performance. Gibson is seeking that Activision either gets a license for the game or stops sales.

Activision has filed a lawsuit asking the Court for Central California to declare Gibson’s patent invalid and to bar it from seeking damages.

“Gibson is a good partner, and we have a great deal of respect for them. We disagree with the applicability of their patent and would like a legal determination on this,” Activision general counsel George Rose said in a statement.

“Based on our preliminary analysis, the Guitar Hero software (including any expansion packs) and the guitar controller provided by Activision being used as a musical instrument (packaged with the software or sold standalone) are covered by the … patent,” Gibson’s law firm said in its January 7 letter. “Gibson requests that Activision obtain a license under Gibson’s … patent or halt sales of any version of the Guitar Hero game software.”

From here

1. XDamage

Argh, the greed! It’s horrible! :P

2. patlike

Heh. It’s probably a storm in a teacup, but it’s got the potential to be really serious. I bet the court tells Gibson to fuck off, though.

3. epic_wanderer

I was thinking of starting a business selling hairbrushes shaped like microphones to teenage girls but this story has made me think twice.

4. patlike

Do it anyway. Nothing could possibly go wrong. Put “Gibson” on the side of them for good luck.

5. epic_wanderer

If I embed a dictaphone in it the performance will no longer be simulated! Phew, now I can call the lawyers off.

6. Random_H

I wonder what guitar brand we’ll play in the next GH… :)

As I see it, that’s not such a clever move by Gibson (providing they’re wrong). This kind of product placement is just the kind you’ll want as a maker of instruments. I think Fender or Dean will quite happily take Gibson’s place.

cheers,