Dreamcast registration request crashes Sega’s site

Saturday, 8th March 2008 20:07 GMT By Patrick Garratt

dclogo.jpg

Sega wants to know if you still own a Dreamcast, a simple question that’s resulted in a factor-12 netquake.

All you see when you hit the link at that page is, “Due the high volume of account requests, the service will be temporally suspended.”

Apparently, if you successfully navigate beyond this then Sega asks you to register your console, assuming you didn’t swap it for chocolate when PS2 came out, to activate your Dreamcast.com account. Dreamcast’s tenth anniversary’s this year, so that probably explains it.

Zorg’s probably at home shaking, unable to type. Shenmue III and Dreamcast 2 to be announced next week, Yu Suzuki to become global president, etc.

By Mike Bowden

1. ran93r

I gave mine away around the time I picked up a PS2, it was a neat machine and I do regret it somewhat.

2. Zumi

I’d register it.. if I could be bothered to go and find the console out of my attic.

3. morriss

I’ve still got mine. Just can’t bloody log on to the site!

4. patlike

The Sega massive will go fucking mental. Even if all it means is that they’re going to make a Dreamcast fluffy toy, or something.

5. Zumi

According to the EG message board, it’s just a Dreamcast-branded gmail account.

6. patlike

It says that on Kotaku as well. It won’t stop the faithful expecting Sega to announce a new console next week.

7. frod

Failcast

8. Chinster

Sites back up but as I’m at work I obviously don’t have the serial number of either of my Dreamcasts to hand.

I shall do this as soon as I get home though. I shall have that beautiful Dreamcast email address and cherish it forever.