Sony US staff are “high-fiving in the office”

Thursday, 6th March 2008 09:50 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Calm down. SCEA is so excited by the changing fortunes of PS3 that joy is spilling over into physical contact.

“Without question there’s very much a sense of confidence and renewed enthusiasm,” said Scott Steinberg, VP of product marketing at SCEA. “It happened so fast we can’t help but do a little high-fiving in the office.”

Whoa there, Scott. Remember there are laws about this sort of thing. Steinberg went on to explain just why the Sony team’s so jubilant right now.

“There was a little bit of a Berlin Wall factor going on,” he said. “We were preparing ourselves for a long, drawn-out battle but from CES, things moved extremely rapidly. It probably moved rapidly for our competition too, in the opposite direction. Without question things have developed to the point where it’s great not to have to really dwell on HD-DVD discussions and be able to insert some conversation about our software line-up and talk about SOCOM or talk about LittleBigPlanet.

“We had this Berlin Wall [HD-DVD] and all of a sudden the people decided to tear it down and the next thing you know we’ve got a de facto standard on our hands and it’s our standard.”

Full thing here.

1. Tiger Walts

Physical contact between employees!?

Down with this sort of thing!

Careful now.

2. patlike

Only in marketing.

3. AMG

Hand-shandies all ’round! GO TEAM SCEA!!!!

4. patlike

Woo! WOO!

5. AMG

“Hey Chuck, can I toss your salad?!”

6. patlike

“Go Chet!”

7. Blerk

They’ll never get the TPS reports done on time at this rate.

8. patlike

I really hope Sony reads this and never buys advertising on my website.

9. mart

Alright! Super duper. That’s nice.

10. patlike

“Fill my port, Brad!”

11. Shatner

I’m all for good office morale. However, strutting this sort of stuff around publicly from a company like Sony who must surely be aware of people’s distaste for their over confidence seems a little short sighted.

I’m thrilled that they’re thrilled but, ultimately, it means nothing to me as a consumer.

Price drops, compelling content, implementing much-requested improvements to their service – that’s the sort of stuff that I want to hear about.

That goes for all the brands actually.