Toshiba announces discontinuation of HD-DVD businesses

Tuesday, 19th February 2008 08:45 GMT By Patrick Garratt

As predicted, Toshiba’s confirmed a “discontinuation” of its HD-DVD businesses.

In a statement, the company said:

Toshiba Corporation today announced that it has undertaken a thorough review of its overall strategy for HD DVD and has decided it will no longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and recorders. This decision has been made following recent major changes in the market. Toshiba will continue, however, to provide full product support and after-sales service for all owners of Toshiba HD DVD products.

“We carefully assessed the long-term impact of continuing the so-called ‘next-generation format war’ and concluded that a swift decision will best help the market develop,” said Atsutoshi Nishida, president and CEO of Toshiba Corporation. “While we are disappointed for the company and more importantly, for the consumer, the real mass market opportunity for high definition content remains untapped and Toshiba is both able and determined to use our talent, technology and intellectual property to make digital convergence a reality.”

Full statement here.

1. Blerk

They think it’s all over…. it is now!

/salutes
    /sticks tongue out

2. patlike

I’m actually glad. It hopefully means I can stop writing about it.

3. Blerk

This is quite amusing:

:-D

4. patlike

Oh man :-S

5. Killerbee

I have to say I’m kind of relieved this debate is finally over. I’d like to believe this will be the last of the format wars we have to endure, but something tells me we’ll still see proprietary formats cropping up even in a fully digital-download age…

6. patlike

I’m sure you’re right. I still can’t believe Windows Media Center won’t play AVIs wireless through an Xbox 360, personally.

7. G1GAHURTZ

You can just convert them though, can’t you?

8. patlike

Well, yeah, but it’s a bit daft. It doesn’t stop anyone doing it. It’s just them sticking their heads in the sand.

9. videogaming247 » Blog Archive » Blu-ray sales start to spike following HD-DVD bow-out

[...] of the format moved through retail in the first 11 weeks of this year. The news comes following the very public demise of HD-DVD in [...]