Ubisoft smacks Bratz company for $13 million

Tuesday, 12th February 2008 16:35 GMT By Patrick Garratt

bratz.jpg

MGA Entertainment, owner of the Bratz brand, has lost a legal battle with Ubisoft over lost earnings to the tune of $13.2 million.

According to Ubisoft, a deal was signed to create games based on the franchise in 2002. Shocked by the success of the Bratz toys, MGA sought to renegotiate the contract then ended it groundlessly. In an effort to justify the termination, MGA then brought into question every aspect of Ubisoft’s handling of the games. Everyone sued each other and Ubisoft, rather obviously, won.

“We are thrilled with the result, and we feel completely vindicated,” said Ubisoft’s general counsel, Cecile Russeil. “We could not have achieved this outcome without attorneys who mastered every aspect of the case, and thoroughly understood our video gaming business.”

Do not mess with Ubisoft. Any of you. Ever.

1. Chinster

Good for Ubisoft, I hope this cost MGA a fortune in litigation fees.

2. patlike

All a bit silly. I wondered what had happened to those games.

3. Chinster

My daughter has them :D

4. patlike

Haha :D

5. Chinster

The DS + Bratz has grabbed up a whole new market really. Young girls just lap this stuff up. When the pink DS came out I was sceptical, but my daughter has one and both of my nieces. They play things like Bratz, Dogz, Harry Potter and Pippa Funnell and they just lap it up. Fair play to Nintendo in regards to all of the above.

6. patlike

I remember seeing THQ’s stand at Games Convention the first time I went had a lot of Bratz branding for mobile games. No idea what happened there.

But yeah, you’re absolutely right. DS really has gone places games haven’t gone before.

7. evilashchris

My daughter has one for the PC, i HAVE to play it when she can’t get past a bit. It’s awful i tell you, awful!