Thu, Feb 07, 2008 | 21:23 GMT
3D Realms has “learned lessons” over DNF release date debacle
3D Realms boss George Broussard said that lessons had been learned by the developer in the wake of the Dallas Business Journal story last night that apparently confirmed a date and platforms for shooter Duke Nukem Forever.
Speaking on the company’s forums, he said:
“I’d like to address the article the Dallas Business Journal put up today.
“In what appears to be an unfortunate turn of events, there seems to have been some confusion between what was ‘off the record’ and what was not. I suppose we’re used to dealing with gaming press and not mainstream press. Lesson learned.
“While we have internal targets, dates and goals, like every developer, we are not ready to share them. What’s amazing about this is that the DBJ must have assumed that we’d actually announce a date to them, and not gaming press, and that even in the light of Scott’s quote of “We can’t make an official announcement.”, the DBJ effectively did that. Lesson learned.
“The release date is still ‘when it’s done’, and will be until the appropriate moment. Platforms have not been finalized or announced. You can rest assured that we are moving toward a goal and that the recently released teaser trailer is the start of that process and seeing more of the game, sooner than later.
“We apologize to gamers and websites everywhere for this series of events. Sometimes, you can be too trusting of people and assume things that come back to bite you. Lesson learned.”
Tips for people speaking to journalists that don’t want the things they say going on the internet: learn how to say “off the record” very loudly.