Tiscali responds to CoD4 online play blocking

Friday, 1st February 2008 13:56 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Tiscali’s denied it’s blocking CoD4 play deliberately, following news that the ISP wasn’t allowing P2P connections at peak times. The shooter uses a P2P system for game-matching and is therefore unplayable for those with Tiscali connections during the evening.

“Reports suggesting that we were deliberately blocking specific games are incorrect. We are constantly working to upgrade and refine our network to ensure our customers can enjoy their favourite applications,” said a spokesperson here. “Work is currently underway on routine updates and we will keep you informed.”

Deliberate or not, Tiscali has something of a “situation” on its hands. Check out this 42-page forum thread written by Tiscali-using gamers to see what we mean.

1. Arkin

Its pretty sad to read things like this mainly because the reason these broadband companys do such things is to try and hinder piracy through the use of P2P programes. Which at the end of the day wont hinder anyone from download tv, movies or music its just going piss off people that use P2P for legit reasons such as playing games over Xbox Live or PSN.

2. patlike

A few years ago I stopped using AOL for stuff like this. Emails just used to “vanish”. Not so great to have ISPs controlling what you do without your consent. All a bit daft, really.

3. Arkin

Only recently my ISP put traffic controlling on my broadband if I go over 800mb’s download with my current package I’m put down to a 1mb connection for 5 hours. I don’t know anyone that doesn’t go over 800mb’s when browsing video sites downloading podcasts and so on. Completely redicules and again the only reason they are doing this is to hinder P2P downloaders.

4. patlike

Not so good. Who do you use?

5. Arkin

Virgin Media they use to be great but unless you subscribe to the fastest speed the traffic control can easily effect you.

6. patlike

I use Virgin and I’ve got the top speed they do at the moment. It does go pear-shaped sometimes, but it’s mostly pretty good. Did you see they’re going to be offering 50Mb by tend of this year? Hopefully that will be enough for both of us :)

7. Arkin

Yeah definetly great news especially for things like tv over the internet and HD quality broadcasts over the net. The upload will probably be very nice as well might actually beable to host a game or 2 over xbox live.